Frequently Asked Questions about orthodontics
What is orthodontics?
It is a specialization that dentists can pursue after getting their dental degree. It is focused on preventing, diagnosing, and treating oral and facial abnormalities.
When should treatment start?
Once enough adult teeth have emerged, children are eligible for orthodontic treatment. As for teens and adults, all who need it are eligible for orthodontic care.
What are the basic steps for taking care of your teeth when wearing an appliance?
- Brush four times a day and floss twice a day
- Purchase a soft-bristled toothbrush
- Purchase toothpaste that contains fluoride
- Take out removeable appliances when eating and place it somewhere safe
- Clean appliances every day
- See your dentist every six months
How long will I wear braces?
That depends on the appliance worn and the problems being corrected. Most people are in treatment less than two years.
Can I still play sports, sing, or play an instrument?
Yes, you can still do all these things. Those playing contact sports need a special retainer. For singers and musicians, just be ready for an adjustment period.
How do I schedule my next appointment?
All you need to do is call us. We will find a time that works for you.